We’re looking for a Backend focused Software Engineer to join our Email team at Zapier. Are you interested in collaborating with incredibly smart people to build great software that connects thousands of different web applications? Then read on.
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You love building new things. Your work could be on our workflow engine, the editor that our customers use to build their Zaps, our platform where partners build their integrations or any number of areas in between. You’ll have a primary focus on backend development in Python, though may need to jump into frontend from time to time. Zapier is built on Python, Django, React, Node.js, and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Docker, Redis, Kubernetes, Puppet, Ansible and much more.
You have worked with teams before on large (preferably Python) projects. You’re familiar with frameworks like Django. You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers – we handle 100s of millions of API calls every week and are growing fast.
You’ve worked on scaling data pipelines. You have experience scaling and maintaining data consistency across a large array of services and apsp – and are interested and excited or have experience with tools like Kafka and are interested in concepts like event streams.
You love shipping to customers. Your engineering projects will focus on understanding customers’ needs and translating those needs from product specifications into functional, production-ready code. You’ll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in Don’t be a Robot, Build the Robot. We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You love to set your own course. You will have a team meeting and a one-on-one meeting every week where you can help direct the course of your projects. You’ll have a direct impact on what we work on next.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Building and scaling an analytics platform to better serve our users
- Run experiments and tests to learn what techniques work best at keeping users engaged and informed
- Dig into bugs and feature requests
- Work with teams and stakeholders across Zapier – marketing, partnerships, companies – to help them leverage email and data in new and exciting ways
- Help other engineers on the team and across Zapier
- As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we usually would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a significant impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small groups mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: UTC -9 (West coast US) to UTC +1
We are a globally distributed company with over 300 team members all over the world. We live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2-3 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-, Canadian- and UK-based employees.
Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.
To apply for this job please visit zapier.com.